Lime plaster is a type of material that is made up of a mixture of lime, water and other additives such as sand or fibres. It has been used in building work for centuries and can offer a number of benefits such as durability, breathability and versatility when being used in construction and decoration. At JC Plastering and Lime we focus our work on using lime in all the services we offer. Lime has been used in construction for centuries and continues to be a versatile material with various applications, which is why it is slowly becoming more popular in modern building work.
The following points explore why lime plaster is beneficial to use, and therefore why it is becoming more and more popular in modern construction work.
- Sustainability: Lime plaster is an eco-friendly alternative to modern synthetic plasters and cement. It is made from natural materials such as limestone, which is abundant and widely available to everybody. Lime production requires less energy compared to the production of cement-based plasters, reducing its carbon footprint.
- Breathability: It is highly breathable, allowing moisture to evaporate through the walls. This feature helps regulate humidity levels and prevent issues like mould and dampness, promoting a healthier indoor environment.
- Historic Preservation: As a material, lime has been used for centuries in traditional building construction. In recent times, there has been a growing interest in preserving historical buildings and using traditional building techniques. It can allow for the restoration of these structures using authentic materials, maintaining their original aesthetic and architectural integrity.
- Flexibility and Durability: Lime has excellent flexibility, which allows it to accommodate the natural movement of buildings without cracking. It can expand and contract with temperature and humidity changes, making it a durable option for both interior and exterior applications.
- Aesthetics: Lime plaster provides a unique and textured finish that is visually appealing. It offers a softer and more natural look compared to smooth synthetic plasters. Lime plaster also allows for various decorative techniques, making it a preferred choice for artistic and customized finishes.
- Health and Safety Benefits: Lime plaster is non-toxic and does not emit harmful chemicals into the air. It has natural anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, which can contribute to better indoor air quality and a healthier living environment, and therefore beneficial to your health in the long run.
- Increased Awareness: With the rise of sustainable and environmentally conscious practices, there has been an increased awareness of alternative building materials such as lime, compared to modern materials like cement. Lime plaster has received more attention from architects, builders, and homeowners who are seeking greener and healthier options for construction and renovation projects, which has made it increasingly more popular.
It is important to note that lime plaster can be used in many different ways and can benefit your property in different ways. For more information on lime plaster, or the services we offer here at JC Plastering and Lime, take a look around our website today.